Mercer Gasket and Shim is a premier provider of high-quality Kammprofile gaskets. Consisting of a metal core serrated on each side and covered with a soft filler that is bonded to each face, our Kammprofile gaskets (or camprofile gaskets) are ideal for both standard pipe and heat exchanger applications.
Mercer’s kammprofile gaskets (also known as Camprofile Gaskets) are available in different materials, shapes and styles, including graph oil and PTFE, and can be customized to meet your individual needs. While these types of gaskets can be used without sealing layers to provide a dependable seal, they are typically used with a sealing layer for greater flange surface protection and improved sealing effectiveness.
Kammprofile, Camprofile or “Grooved” Gaskets have proven themselves in all industrial applications. Kammprofile gaskets are found in industrial power plants and in the primary circuits in nuclear installations. Used either between flanges or in heat exchanger units in nuclear applications. The Petrochemical and Chemical industries benefit too, as the gaskets are used in applications where high pressures and temperatures are maintained and consequently high bolt loads need to be controlled.
For flange protection the Kammprofile (otherwise known as Camprofile) gaskets are normally used in conjunction with a covering layer of either PTFE, Graphite etc, and provided that the layer thickness is correct in application the flange will be completely protected from the grooved profile of the gasket.
Types of Kammprofiles (MerKamms)
- MerKamm: This is a basic Kammprofile (Camprofile) with no outer ring. It is used in a confined space or recessed flange such as tongue and groove or male/female.
- MerKamm IG: This is designed with an integral outer guide ring for aligning accuracy. This is primarily used in standard ANSI B 16.5 flanges, raised face or flat face.
- MerKamm LG: This is designed with a loose fitting outer guide ring. It is used for flanges where thermal expansion may be encountered.
- Outstanding sealing characteristics at a wide range of seating stress levels. Helps compensate for wide swings in temperature and pressure.
- Very forgiving of inconsistent bolt torqueing or installation error. Applicable to almost all types of flanges regardless of bolt load available.
- The working thickness of sealing layers is extremely small reducing fugitive emissions.
- Low seating stresses required reduce flange damage and gasket removal problems.
- The gasket cores are reusable reducing cost and eliminating gasket disposal problems.
- Offers extreme temperature and chemical resistance because of the variety of materials available.
- Extremely high pressure are easily sealed with confidence.
Seating stress at 70°F
- Flexible Graphite PTFE
- Minimum: 2,900 lb/sq in.
- Recommended: 13,000 lb/sq in.
- Maximum: 58,000 lb/sq in.
Note: Metal selection is usually consistent with piping system.
- Nickel 200
- Monel 400
- Inconel 600
- Hasteloy C
- Hastelloy B2
- (other on request)
Sealing Elements Available
- Flexible Graphite
By choosing Mercer’s Kammprofile gaskets, you’ll be choosing excellent sealing characteristics for critical and problem-solving applications, as well as low failure and leak rates.
See our Materials Guide for more information on Mercer’s inventory of materials to help accommodate your specific Kammprofile gasket circumstances.